Re: I want all my 4GB!!!

James Brown wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> >   apt-get install memtest86+
>
> It see only 3GB, not 4GB.

I looked up the Acer TravelMate 3040 series and supposedly it has two
200-pin sodimm slots.  This is an obvious question but are you sure
your two slots both have a 2G dimm in them?  Is it possible that one
of them is only a 1G dimm?  I myself would be inclined to test each
dimm in each slot separately and make sure that each one is seen as 2G
by the system independently.  (Be careful for ESD damage when handling
the ram.)

Perhaps you have a bad dimm.  Perhaps you have a bad address pin on a
dimm slot.  If you find that one combination isn't producing a full 2G
then you have isolated a problem.  If both are 2G in both slots then
together the boot time BIOS ram power on self test should report 4G.
If not then I think this would be a BIOS problem.  You might need to
check your laptop's BIOS for updates to see if this is a problem with
an update.

Other than these things I have no further suggestions.  Good luck!

Bob