Re: What is the matter with the "http://people.debian.org/~rafael/skype-amd64/"?

Michael Neuffer wrote:
Freddy Freeloader wrote:
Michael Neuffer wrote:
Wolodja Wentland wrote:
On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 07:53 +0400, James Brown wrote:
Do you know will anybody intend to maintain the skype packages for Debian?
I am not aware of any DD maintaining skype packages, but Skype used to have a
debian repository at:

deb http://download.skype.com/linux/repos/debian/ stable non-free

which might serve your needs.
But not for amd64

Cheers
   Mike

I have installed the 32 bit version of Skype on a pure 64 bit install of Debian (lenny when it was testing) and it worked fine. Don't ask me how it worked, but it did. I found the idea on the old Linux forum at Skype as someone else had done it before and posted their results. There were a few amd64 bit users on that forum who installed 32 bit Skype and it worked for all of us, at least all of us who posted back to the forum on the subject after trying it.

IIRC all I did was download the .deb for Debian from Skype and run dpkg -i pkg.version.deb and it worked.

The minimum you need to do in that case is to force the architecture and
then install all missing 32bit libraries.

You refreshed my memory as this has been quite a while ago: a year or more. Yeah, I did use the force-architecture flag with dpkg, but I do not remember using the 32 bit libraries. To do that I would have had to use apt-get and all I used was dpkg and the local(downloaded) .deb package. It was a mystery to me why it worked when I installed it as my assumption, then and now, was that I would have had to use the 32 bit libraries. Maybe I had installed them earlier for something else and had/have completely forgotten about it, but I'm pretty sure I didn't install them at the time I installed Skype.

Cheers
   Mike