Re: 2.6.18 problems with grub and ACPI

On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 05:53:30PM -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Richard Lyons wrote:
> > Franklin PIAT wrote:
> > > Do you still have you /var/log/dpkg.log, so I can investigate and file
> > > bug where appropriate ?
> >
> > Ah, yes. I do.  Looking at it, maybe it wasn't the
> > linux-image-2.6.18-5-686 that did it:  I had forgotton that I also
> > installed a motley collection comprising:
> >     linux-headers-2.6.18-5
> >     linux-kbuild-2.6.18
> >     loop-aes-utils
> > (don't ask me why...) One of them may have done it.
>
> I can't think of any reason grub would be removed.  And unfortunately
> the logs you included didn't show any information about grub being
> removed but only showed it being installed.

Yes, I was disappointed about that too.  What I copied was the entirety
of the log.  /var/log/dpkg.log.1 finishes a couple of weeks ago when the
computer was last used -- I have been away.  It started normally when I
came back.  I had closed down and restarted once since my return, again
completely normal operation of grub at startup.  I have done nothing
extraordinary in these last few days, certainly nothing that could allow
me to delete /boot/grub in error (and as root!), so I am as sure as I
can be that one of the install scripts listed above must have done it.

But there is no more information in the log than I gave, so whichever
did it was being sneaky.

Hmm, just had a nasty thought:  Even on this slow GPRS connection, I
suppose the unthinkable may have happened... It would be an odd choice
of malice, though... and chkrootkit says all clear there.

I am developing a nervous habbit of tapping 'ls /boot'...

Oh dear.  Thanks, Bob.

--
richard