[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: It's a simple question....

Hash: SHA1

(I am forwarding this to Debain Boot since these seem to be
installation issues).

Justin Hartman wrote:
> On 2/18/07, Eddy Petrișor wrote:
>> > * Getting Etch operational from a netinstall cd
>> What image did you used? Could you define a little bit more what
>> didn't worked?
> I used the etch rc1 i386 net install image. Think it was about 135MB
> big. My problem was that it wouldn't pick up any eth interfaces and
> because I new I had them I had to manually insert the eth1 interface
> and only once Gnome was installed could I get the wireless setup on
> eth0.
>> > * Getting my Belkin PCI card operational (still not 100% correct and
>> > only connecting at 11mbps instead of the 54 it's capable of)
>> ndis or native driver?
> Well this is a little confusing to me. Intially I was using the bcm43
> driver which shipped with Sid and this worked. My problem as mentioned
> was the 11mbps connection vs 54. Then I tried ndiswrapper to install
> the windows driver which was on the install CD. It seems to be
> installed but it still doesn't actually increase my connection speed
> and remains at 11mbps.
>> > * Preventing Gnome from crashing almost immediately on startup (only
>> > an upgrade to unstable fixed this)
>> That sounds like an RC bug. Could you say what messages (if any) you
>> got? Did failsafe GNOME sessions worked?
> Gnome failsafe did work. I can't remember any messages now but what I
> did experience was a hang almost immediately once Gnome started up. I
> had a similar issue once on my iBook and found beagled to be the
> problem so I removed this from my system. Seemed to work but still had
> a lot of problems starting up. I then upgraded to Sid from Etch and
> never had another problem.
>> > * Various network related issues (lots of trial and error)
>> please explain/be more specific
> Well I had a lot of problems trying to connect to windows servers as
> well as my office wifi network. When I spoke of lots of trial and
> error what I meant was that I had to try various different connection
> options in connecting to the wifi network.
>> > * Not able to print to a SMB network printer (tried everything yet
>> > still can't get there)
>> not sure what you tried, so I don't have a starting point for ideas
> The printer settings option in Gnome refused to pickup my network
> printer for whatever reason. I did a little searching and found this
> information [1] which I used to setup the printer. I now have the
> printer setup and the printer can see me when I spool jobs to it but
> for some weird reason print jobs never come out. The printer spool
> hangs and I have to manually cancel the print job at the printer
> itself.
> [1]
> http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/Debian-and-Windows-Shared-Printing.html#printing_to_windows

- --
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" A.Einstein
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)


Reply to: