Re: CPU power management

On Fre, 16 Feb 2007, Eddy Petri??or wrote:

> Florian Reitmeir wrote:
> >> Results in a list of frequencies down to 31 MHz. I tried some script I
> >> found on the freebsd lists[1] to test the speed of blowfish at various
> >> speeds and observed that on my Core 2 Duo that:
> >
> > i do really doubt this are useful settings, simply because..
> >
> > - to configure a cpu to some voltage and frequency
> > -> you have to set some bits
> > - there are limited combinations
> > - the lowest setting is 0 0 0 0
> > - the datasheets clearly states what this lowest setting means
> > more states are possible, but clearly _not_ under the lowest value the cpu is
> > capable. If your kernel states something like 31 MHz, this is simply an
> The undervoltage patch does exactly that, make the processor run at
> a lower speed than the designed minimal.

yes this sentence is true. undervoltage is possible, but there are min and
max limits

http://download.intel.com/design/mobile/datashts/30922106.pdf
page 21/table 2 read for your self.

and here some nice explanations for stable workings points
http://download.intel.com/design/network/papers/30117401.pdf

--
Florian Reitmeir