PCMCIA for 2.4 kernels

I did my NET install (where do I look, incidentally, to find out
which version of Debian - as opposed to kernel - I am using?)
using a 2.6 kernel, and both during and after the install my PCMCIA LAN
card seemed to come up ok...

However when I tried booting on the 2.4.27-2-586tsc kernel that
was also installed, the PCMCIA didn't start...

This seems to be because the install process didn't install a
necessary package, and there seem to be two PCMCIA related
packages available:

# apt-cache search 2.4.27-2-586tsc
kernel-pcmcia-modules-2.4.27-2-586tsc - Mainstream PCMCIA modules 2.4.27 on Pentium-Classic
pcmcia-modules-2.4.27-2-586tsc - PCMCIA Modules for Linux (kernel 2.4.27-2-586tsc)

They seem to be mutually exclusive. The first results in the PCMCIA
subsytem starting, and my card being recognised - but for some
reason it is not up...

The second doesn't seem to get that far.

Anyone know what the difference is supposed to be, and what the
procedure should be to get PCMCIA up and going in my 2.4 kernel?

Thanks,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com