Re: debian on a sony vaio a517b

On Sat, Jan 21, 2006 at 01:28:17PM -0800, Marco Milanesi wrote:
> hi all,
>
>    ubuntu has recognized all the devices etc with it's mega-patched
> kernel.
>
> but I don't like very much ubuntu's focus on GNOME, so I'm trying to get
> all to work under debian. (I'll write a doc when finished)
>
> my problems actually are:
>
> 	1) wireless mouse
> 	2) brightness control
>

> 1)
> kpanic@bestio:~$ dmesg |grep -i mouse
> input: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [Logitech USB Receiver] on usb-0000:00:1d.0-2
> mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
> input: PS/2 Mouse as /class/input/input3
> kpanic@bestio:~$
>
> Touchpad is ok, but I'm wondering how to say to my vaio to use the
> external mouse

where is this mouse missing? console or X?
If X you just need to add the appropriate InputDevice section to
xorg.conf or XF86Config-4.
I assume you're using xfree86-driver-synaptics for your touchpad, so
your configuration should be similar to mine:

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"TP Mouse"
	Option		"CorePointer"
	Driver  	"synaptics"
	Option 	"Device"  	"/dev/psaux"
	Option	"Protocol"	"auto-dev"

# ... lots of options here ... see xfree86-driver-synaptics docs

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"USB Mouse Cordless"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"SendCoreEvents"	"true"
	Option		"Device"		"/dev/input/mice"
	Option		"Protocol"		"ImPS/2"
	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"true"
	Option		"ZAxisMapping"		"4 5"
EndSection

# ... other stuff ...

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier	"Default Layout"
	Screen		"Default Screen"
	InputDevice	"Generic Keyboard"
	InputDevice	"TP Mouse"
	InputDevice	"USB Mouse Cordless"
EndSection

> 2)
> 	brightness regulation works with spicctrl and also with sony_acpi
> patches (by /proc/acpi/vaio/brightness) but I'm unable to trap the
> fn-f5/fn-f6/fn-something keys with xev.

that's sonypi's responsibility and you won't get them as X events
anyway.
# modprobe sonypi
sonypi: Sony Programmable I/O Controller Driver v1.26.
sonypi: detected type2 model, verbose = 0, fnkeyinit = off, camera = off, compat = off, mask = 0xffffffff, useinput = on, acpi = on
sonypi: enabled at irq=11, port1=0x1080, port2=0x1084
sonypi: device allocated minor is 63
input: Sony Vaio Jogdial as /class/input/input10
input: Sony Vaio Keys as /class/input/input11

and
# apt-cache show rsjog
for an application that handles them

hth