Re: Debian repair reload drama howto?

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 13:12:41 -0700
"high_desert" <hidesert@cox.net> wrote:

> Had a Debian file and print server running for like two years, serving a
> handful of home Linux, MAC, and Windows clients. December I upgraded the OS
> and apps all to the latest stable version. The only thing I can think I did
> ?sub-optimally? was run the entire process via ssh (the server is an older
> laptop and was shoved in behind some printers on a shelf where it was very
> uncomfortable to open it and balance it and type?) and one prompt for the
> kernel or PCMCIA or NIC drivers asked if I wanted to skip restarting
> something ? I said not to restart it, as I wasn?t clear if I could
> reestablish the ssh session to finish the upgrade. There was some message
> about possibly corrupting something ? but no back out options, so? Anyway it
> now boots to ?LI?. While I saw references here and there to rescue disks I
> didn?t find any for the current Debian version, and the few homemade ones I
> found didn?t work. Pulled the network card to see if that would bypass the
> blockage. Though I think I booted off CD before, it won?t do it now. Nothing
> in the BIOS on that either. Physically it can house either a CD or a
> floppy ? not both at once. I tried booting for repair / reinstall via
> network floppies, but it won?t load the NIC floppy. Tried different media
> and download sites to no avail. Now it?s been sitting for a new weeks, dead.
> Figured I?d revisit this three day weekend. I can recreate the CUPS/SWAT
> config, user names, etc.. All the files on there are also stored in at least
> one other place.
>
> Now I was thinking of pulling the hard drive and copying whatever onto it
> and then returning it to the laptop and booting it, to then load a new OS. I
> have the hard drive out and in an external USB hard drive thing.
>
> Question: What do I copy onto it to do this?
>

> --

If you have another linux box (or a Knoppix CD) you might want to try chrooting into you install and repairing it. A dpkg-reconfigure kernel-image... might help. If it works and you can boot again it might be that you need to repeat this to rebuild the initrd, but i'm only guessing (it won't hurt anyway).

If you need some basic pointers for the chroot i can help.

Good luck
Andrei
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)