Re: Activated pcmcia or wireless Card or both ...

On 1/11/06, David Andreoletti <david.andreoletti@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2006/1/11, Dave Patterson <sdpatt2@gmail.com>:
> > * David Andreoletti <david.andreoletti@gmail.com> [2006-01-11 13:03:28 +0100]:
> >
> > > Good morning,
> > >
> > > I have a laptop ACER Travelmate 4150 Lmi, i would like use my pcmcia
> > > port (ENE 712/4) with a netgear WG511T wireless pcmcia card.
> > > So I download and install latest kernel on debian.org ( via apt-get
> > > ).Currently I have kernel 2.6.15-1 who include madwifi module for
> > > WG511T card (madwifi driver), ieee8001module, yenta etc ..  (see
> > > dmesg.txt )
> > > I insert my WG511T card and try to activate this one by :
> > > ifconfig ath0 up
> > > but system say me :
> > > ath0 doesn't exist !
> > >
> > > I have search on debian list and google without result
> >
> > Maybe it doesn't. Run:
> > sudo tail -f /var/log/messages
> >
> > as you insert and remove the card and note what happens during those
> > events,
> >
> > also, post ONLY the result of
> >
> > sudo iwconfig
> >
> > after you insert the card
> >
> > --
> > Regards, Dave
>
> I follow your recommandations and i get :
>
> when card is insert :
> >tail -f /var/log/messages
> Jan 11 15:51:00 england-laptop kernel: pccard: CardBus card inserted into slot 0
>
> when card is eject :
> >tail -f /var/log/messages
> Jan 11 15:51:16 england-laptop kernel: pccard: card ejected from slot 0
>
> iwconfig command  say always (on insert and eject card) the same thing :
> >iwconfig
> lo        no wireless extensions.
>
> eth0      no wireless extensions.
>
> eth1      unassociated  ESSID:off/any
>             Mode:Managed  Channel=0  Access Point: Not-Associated
>             Bit Rate=0 kb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm
>             Retry limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
>             Encryption key:off
>             Power Management:off
>             Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
>             Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
>             Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
>

> eth2      no wireless extensions.
>

> sit0      no wireless extensions.
>
> NB : eth1 is my centrino card ( module ipw2200)
>         eth0 is my ethernet card (broadcom)
>         eth2 is my  firewire  card (maybe ! I not really sure )
>
> There is no madwifi card ( ath0 or  wlan0 ) detected.

I have a cheaper acer, the Aspire 3000. And I also have a netgear
wireless card. I had to use ndiswrapper with the winblows 2000 driver
to get the card to work. It works ok except, I cannot use tools like
kismet.

My card version is WG511 version 2. I believe that there are two
different chipsets for netgear cards.