pcmcia auto-detection problem

Hello,

I'm currently working on configuring my wireless card for my laptop and
have tripped across a difficulty with my pcmcia configuration.  This is a
HP Pavilion zv6000 laptop and a D-Link DWL-G630 wireless card.  The
wireless card has an Atheros chipset supported by the madwifi project, and
I have already gotten it working; this is not the issue.  The problem is
that unless I have the card in during boot, I must manually do 'cardctl
insert' to get it to be detected properly.  Otherwise, it fails to do
anything.

murasaki:/home/jrb# cardctl ident
Socket 0:
  no product info available
murasaki:/home/jrb# cardctl insert
murasaki:/home/jrb# cardctl ident
Socket 0:
  product info: "Atheros Communications, Inc.", "AR5001-0000-0000", "Wireless LAN Reference Card", "00"
  manfid: 0x0271, 0x0012
  function: 6 (network)

As I said, I have managed to get the card working; this problem is
annoying but not critical.  I would appreciate any advice that people can
provide to get this fixed.  Thanks.

ii  linux-source-2.6.12            2.6.12-10                               Linux
 kernel source for version 2.6.12 with
ii  pcmcia-cs                      3.2.8-5.2                               PCMCI
A Card Services for Linux
ii  madwifi-source                 0.svn20051110-1                         sourc
e for the Multiband Atheros Driver for