Oops... Didn't have CONFIG_USB_ACM in the running kernel

Found one critical bit of info after I sent the previous message...

On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 09:28:53PM -0500, I wrote:
> I've read at www.bitpim.org that a driver called acm handles the usb
> serial port in cell phones, but I don't seem to have it in either
> kernel 2.4.22 (woody) or 2.6.8 (sarge).  Bitpim won't install in
> woody (dependencies) and fails to run in sarge.  I'll have to
> investigate this further, but it seems that first the phone's devices
> (serial port, memory) have to be seen at the usb layer if any other
> software is to use them.  For now I'd be happy to have /dev/acm0
> (or whatever) so I can use ppp with the phone.  Can anyone tell me
> what I'm missing? what the unknown descriptor types mean? Where to
> find the driver that would talk usb and give me the serial device?

Obviously, what I'm missing is that CONFIG_USB_ACM is not defined
in the current woody custom kernel.  However, it is defined in the
sarge/thinkpad kernel (2.6.8) but the phone is not recognized there
at all.  All that happens is a long delay after running lsusb and
then nothing at all is displayed.  I'll have to keep working at this.

Augustine