OT: latest NVidia driver not working

Hello,
I'm running a Toshiba TE2100 with the GeForce4 420Go GRU, under unstable with a 2.6.14 standard kernel. On the latest upgrade to 2.6.14-2-686 (2.6.14-2-7) I noticed a new Nvidia kernel. I used module assistant to compile it but on loading it would just hang. No response from the keyboard - complete freeze, requiring a power off. Previously I'd used Nvidia *.run drivers, so I downloaded the latest one of those, NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8178-pkg1.run. It compiled just fine, as had the 1.0.8178 edition from Debian, but with the same result. Many tries and hours later I decided to download the previous NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7676-pkg1.run.
That compiled and works!

There would appear to be a problem with this GRU and the latest kernel from NVidia.

I use FlightGear for instrument flying, but it is useless with the open source nv driver, far too slow. My machine does require the "IgnoreEDID" option.

Regards,
       Tim