Re: preferring wired over wireless

Luca Pireddu wrote:

When both my wireless and wired networking devices are connected, how can I get my laptop to use the wired device and ignore the wireless one? I tried specifying a higher metric for my wired device (via ifconfig metric), but it doesn't seem to have an effect.

Luca

Luca,

There are several ways of doing this. One is change the routing table and another is turn off the wireless card.

Remove entry in routing table
1. check routing table
route -n
2. remove gateway line for wireless card
route del default gw 44.44.44.44 dev ethX

Turn off wireless card
ifconfig ethX down

Cheers
-Mark