2.6 686 kernel hangs at boot

Hello,

I have a dell insipron 8200 with debian sid installed. I have tried to
upgrade to kernel 2.6.x each time a package comes out for sid. Everytime,
however, the kernel hangs on boot. The last thing I see is "Loading Linux
Kernel."

I like to stick to standard debian kernels for the sake of simplicity.
Does anyone know what might cause such a hang? At the very least I would
know what to change in a recompile.

BTW, I think I have all the packages installed that I need and at the
necessary versions.

Thank you,

David