Re: lm-sensors

Andrey Novoselov <gnostik@aip.mk.ua> writes:

> Is there anybody, who has lm-sensors working on Compaq Evo N1020v? I've
> read that it's dangerous at ThinkPads. But could soomebody tell me how
> it works with Compaqs. Thanks.

My understanding is that the problem with IBM Thinkpads really is
specific to Thinkpads, and if your laptop is supported by lm-sensors
then it should work fine.  A lot of laptops don't have a separate
temperature sensor chip, though.  (For Dells you can use i8kutils to
get the motherboard temperature, but there isn't another interface.)
You can try lm-sensors and it probably won't fry your hardware, but
there's no particular guarantee that it'll work.

http://secure.netroedge.com/~lm78/supported.html lists the supported
chips and devices, and there's no mention of anything specifically
Compaq there, but there's no mention of things specifically from other
laptop manufacturers either.  I suspect the best way to see if it
works is to build the kernel modules, run sensors-detect, and see what
(if anything) it finds.

	-- Abra Mitchell