RE: X crashes if I'm idle

> On Thursday 19 February 2004 11:31 am, Doyle, Patrick wrote:
>
> <snip>
> > > I don't use kde, but doesn't a right-click on the
> background bring
> > > up anything useful?
> >
> > Sadly no, this is why I am so confused.  I just can't find
> the right
> > knob to turn to shut the darn thing off.  In the mean time, I have
> > rerun the debian configuration utility and told the X server not to
> > use the frame buffer interface, since the notes said that,
> sometimes
> > things work better with that off, and sometimes they work
> better with
> > it on.  I am still waiting to see what happens when/if the
> screensaver
> > kicks in.  (And am using the computer in the mean time, so I can't
> > just wait for it, and don't know how to configure it to change the
> > timeout to something like 30 seconds, sigh... It's hard being me :-)
>
> You're looking for kcontrol, the KDE Control Center. if it's
> not in the menus,
> try bringing it up frmo a terminal window. That's where all
> the controls for
> kde live, including screensaver settings.
> Best of luck.
>
> --
Unfortunately, I was not running KDE -- I couldn't get it to start.  Since I
sent out my email this morning, I edited my XF86Config-4 file and removed
the line that read:

	Option "DPMS"

>From the "Monitor" section.  Just on a whim, I decided to see if KDE would
start -- and it did.  I haven't been able to leave the computer idle long
enough to see if KDE crashes when the screensaver kicks in, but I know how
to configure/disable it if the screensaver crashes.

So, I'm sorry I wasn't clearer in my original posting -- the screensaver
under GNOME was crashing, and I couldn't figure out how to turn it off, and
I couldn't get KDE to run.  In the mean time, it appears that not enabling
the "DPMS" option did the trick.  (Possibly in conjunction with turning off
the frame buffer option for the vesa driver, who knows?)

Thanks again for the tips...

--wpd