kernel locale settings

Hi all-

On my debian desktop this does not occur; but here on my laptop booting
either 2.6.2 or 2.6.3 I get a locale error message like this:

locale: cannot set lc_ctype to default locale: no such file or directory

I also see this for lc_messages and lc_all as the system boots.

I went through looking at my desktop booting the same kernel and do not
see this particular error in my dmesg queue at all.  I still have 2.4.21
here and I have not booted that kernel in awhile.  The error comes up as
the system is booting; not when applications start.  My /etc/environment
is en_US and if I run locale I get a series of settings pointing at
en_US. I also checked to see what the console_data program is set to but
it seems okay as well.

Thanks for any tips on this one!

--
Michael Perry | do or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
mperry@lnxpowered.org | http://www.lnxpowered.org