Laptop powers off, when I request a reboot

I'm still fighting with my transition from kernel 2.2.20 to 2.4.24
(Debian 3.0R1).

When I type 'reboot' (alias for 'shutdown -r now') on the console, the
laptop (Dell Insprion 7500) properly shutdowns. But instead to reboot,
it powers off.

In the kernel 2.4.24 I enabled ACPI, APM and Power-Management (Y, not
M). With boot parameters I switch them on or off. I also tried different
values (cold, warm, hard, bios) for the reboot= parameter. Nothing
works, the laptop always powers off and never reboots.

With kernel 2.2.20 (without ACPI, APM and Power-Management enabled)
everything works flawless. My first try with 2.4.24 (ACPI, APM and
Power-Management disabled) the reboot didn't work either.

Any hint how to get a working reboot?

Dieter Rohlfing