Re: Portege 3440ct multimedia prot replicator

Hi,

On Tuesday 17 February 2004 20:12, Glyn Edwards wrote:
> I'm running debian unstable and have been for about 6 months now. Does
> anyone else have a portege 3440ct and a port replicator who has been
> able to get it to work fully.

Uhm, I have a 3480ct and am looking for such a port replicator. ;)

> I am currently testing out the 2.6 kernels as well and wonder if anyone
> else is using 2.6.2 with this laptop. Most things seem to work apart
> from apm.

> Any thoughts are appreciated. I'm jsut in the process of trying to get
> tthat last 0.1% working perfectly.

The 3480ct is highly comparable AFAIK, only CPU speed differs. Here it's
running with kernel 2.6.2 on debian unstable. However, ACPI does not work at
all for me, even using "Relaxed AML" in ACPI config. It's so bad I had to go
to back to APM and exclude ACPI in order to re-enable certain PCI devices
like the PCMCIA cardbus bridge. Probably the machine's ACPI implementation
(from 2001) is broken.

Some of my PCMCIA cards misbehave from time to time under 2.6.2. The
boot-logo for the VESA framebuffer had to be deactivated otherwise the
display's text output was corrupted on boot. The graphics chip
is a S3 Savage8/IX.

Have you managed to get your Win-Modem to work under 2.6.x? It works under
2.4.x with the ltmodem-package, but doesn't under 2.6.x, according to the
documentation.

And finally, possibly worst of all, lxdoom is broken! It runs too fast under
2.6.x, maybe twice as fast due to some timing problem. The same with DukeNukem
3D. What a mess. I heard 2.6.x was fast .. but that fast!? :)

Regards,
  Frank
--
 Frank Trenkamp                     frank at trenkamp dot org
 GPG fprt: FF9E 9A3A CACB D840 6866  8485 DCB1 98FA 7162 4D9C