Re: Weird X problem

On September 6, 2003 12:23, David Z Maze wrote:
> David Fokkema <dfokkema@ileos.nl> writes:
> > Anyway, I've got an ATI Radeon 9000 Mobility (ATI Radeon Mobility M9 Lf
> > (AGP)) with a Samsung LTN150P1-L02 TFT panel at 1400x1050.
> >
> > When I start X, I only get a black screen on my panel.
>
> Which X are you using?  I needed to go to XFree86 4.3 for my Radeon
> 9000 Mobility.  I did this by getting binary tarballs from xfree86.org
> (Xxserv.tgz and Xmod.tgz), and unpacking them in /usr/local, and
> repointing /etc/X11/X and editing the paths in XF86Config-4.

Well, whatever you do it's better not to install X from tarballs. You can mess
up your system badly, and besides there are 4.3.0 debs available. Try for
example:
deb http://people.debian.org/~ccheney/xfree86/ ./
These are debs for sid. If you want to run woody, then XFree86 v4.1.0 +
xserver-trunk (December 2002) from Michael Daenzer will work fine with Radeon
9000. There is only one little thing you have to change in kdm configuration,
I forgot what it was, but it is explained in the readme file. Add this to
your sources.list:
deb http://people.debian.org/~daenzer/dri-trunk/ ./

> > What _does_ work, however, is starting X while making sure that _no_
> > external monitor is connected. I get a black screen. Then, plug in the
> > monitor and switch between TFT/CRT twice. If I'm fast enough, my monitor
> > doesn't even come up (it doesn't support 1400x1050 anyway) but my laptop
> > panel does. I then have a fully working DRI enabled set up and can play
> > tuxracer, chromium, view DVDs, etc.
>
> ...but I think there's a DRI version incompatibility with the newer X,
> so you'd need a kernel-side DRM newer than what's in any released (2.4)
> kernel if that's important to you.

In my experience for DRM modules to work properly you need either kernel
2.4.22 or an AGP patch for earlier kernels, but this may be related to my
motherboard rather than to the graphic card itself. You also need DRM modules
which come with XFree86 4.3.0 debs or those from Daenzer's repository,
instread of those shiped with linux kernel (you have to compile them, of
course). Both worked fine for me.

Cheers,
Slaven