Re: system fan on Dell Inspiron 8000 after suspend

On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 07:35:25AM -0700, Michael K O'Brien wrote:
> Hola~
>
> I had Dell service my Inspiron 8000. Of course, the upgraded the bios. Now,
> when I open the laptop from a suspend, the system fan starts up and never
> quits until I shutdown the machine.
>
> The kicker is that the system fan problem only occurs with Debian, not with
> Windows. I've got Debian, unstable with kernel 2.4.20.
>
> Anyone else have this problem?
>
> MO
>
> --
> Michael O'Brien                                                         Tools
> Pixar                                                       mobrien@pixar.com
>
> Yossarian lives.

This also happens on my Dell Inspiron I4100 after a suspend.  I learned
an easy trick to make the system reread its monitors.  After you bring
the laptop back, try using the Fn Z key combination.  This should make
the system reread its monitors and the fans will shut off.  At least
that's the way it works on my Inspiron.  I also have updated the bios to
the latest version available from Dell.

--
Michael Perry | Do or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
mperry@lnxpowered.org | http://www.lnxpowered.org