Re: Thinkpad T30 Specs

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, arief mulya wrote:
> As the laptop arrives just now, I'm preparing to install a Sarge on
> it. I've already done repartition. [Why does IBM need to use that 3
> Gigs for recovery anyway...]

According to their support people it's either a deal with Microsoft to
"prevent piracy" or a way to keep their support costs down, depending on
where you ask.

[...]

> - Intel P4-M 1.9GHz w/ 256 MiB

This is supported. :)

> - ATI Mobility Radeon 7500

Sure, with a 4.2 series XFree86, or with the VESA driver.

DRI has always caused lockups within two days for me, so I don't enable
it, and my system is stable. (A31p, but similar hardware.)

> - MATSHITA DVD-ROM SR-8177
> - IBM ThinkPad FIR Port

These both work for me, though I only use the SIR not the FIR mode.

> - SoundCard: SoundMAX ?? (what's this exactly?)

Probably a stock Intel on-chip sound thingy, with yet another brand name
attached.

> - Agere Systems AC'97 Modems

Unlikely.

> - Intel PRO/100 VE ethernet card

Yup. e100 works better than the other option for me.

> - ACPI

Yes, but YMMV.

> - USB

Yes.

> - IBM ThinkNav for mouse navigations

Yes.

> 3. Are there any special settings for this Thinkpad?

No, not really. One of the reasons I got an IBM laptop was the boring
hardware that required little work...

> 4. Does IBM Fn keys works with Linux (I know that with Toshiba it work
> if toshiba kernel support enabled, and with Dell Latitude it also work
> without enabling anything)

Suspend to disk fails for me, but the other function keys and the volume
control keys all work. Also, the extended "Internet" keys work fine as
normal keys.

       Daniel

--
Unfortunately, the 'Tall Poppy' syndrome is rife in Australia, it is based on
pure and simple envy. This syndrome demands that anyone that is successful and