via8233 & alsa...

Hi guys!

I know the subject has been discussed many times everywhere around the
web, but despite of all these resources, i still have troubles making my
soundcard working!
I have a fujitsu amilo m with a built-in vvia8233 (or at least, i think
so, the motherboard is a via apollo pro 266, but after so many tries and
failures, i'm not sure of anything!!).
I have tried all the ways i've found on the web and it still doesn't
work. When i try to product sound, all i have is a serie of "toc toc
toc" (i hope you'll guess what i mean... ;) ).
There are two points i suspect:
* First, the soundcard is not what i think! How couldl i be sure?
lspci give me the following information about it:
00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. AC97 Audio
Controller (rev 30)
so what??
* Second, in /etc/modutils/alsa-path, i have:
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/alsa
but i have no alsa directory there!?!
What i am supposed to have there??
Thanks by advance!

PS: Sorry for all the english mistakes i have undoubtely done!
PPS: I use woody, and i have tried to compile alsa from sources, since
alsaconf doesn't propose the via8233 module.