Re: cdrw/dvd, hdparm, and ide-scsi

On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 06:16:32PM +0000, Soren A wrote:
> Bob Nielsen <nielsen@oz.net> wrote around 23 Jan 2003
> [🔎] 20030124032941.GA1929@n7xy.net:">news:[🔎] 20030124032941.GA1929@n7xy.net:
>
> > On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 12:48:17PM -0500, cyn wrote:
> >>
> >> Oh, one last thing - shouldn't a high-resolution console look
> >> different? I have sisfb compiled in and my append includes:
> >>      video=sisfb:mode:1024x768x16,mem:12288
> >> which seems to me like it should be setting the console to a high
> >> resolution videomode... but on boot it's running normal and dmesg
> >> says Console: colour VGA+ 80x25
> >
> > Try "vga=791".
>
> Since I cannot see any obvious correlation between this "791" and the
> parameters given above (which I didn't know one could do, having just read
> everything on LILO I could get my hands on, 12 hours ago), could you please
> elaborate on the formula used to come up with such special fb statements to
> append= -- my laptop, likewise, is capable of hi-res (same as his,
> 1024x768, but I don't know my video memory spec).
>
> Or point me towards some Fine Documentation.

I know this begs the question, but frankly I don't have any references.
I noticed that KNOPPIX had a nice high-resolution console display so I
checked its configuration and found that.  I normally use vga=5 to get
a 80 x 34 (I think) display, but vga=791 is much higher than that and
isn't listed by vga=ask.  I tried the scan option, but my display
indicates "over frequency" and blanks, so that didn't help either.  One
might expect to find this in the Framebuffer-HOWTO, but it isn't
covered there.  Maybe someone else can enlighten us.