Re: cdrw/dvd, hdparm, and ide-scsi

Bob Nielsen <nielsen@oz.net> wrote around 23 Jan 2003
[🔎] 20030124032941.GA1929@n7xy.net:">news:[🔎] 20030124032941.GA1929@n7xy.net:

> On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 12:48:17PM -0500, cyn wrote:
>>
>> Oh, one last thing - shouldn't a high-resolution console look
>> different? I have sisfb compiled in and my append includes:
>>      video=sisfb:mode:1024x768x16,mem:12288
>> which seems to me like it should be setting the console to a high
>> resolution videomode... but on boot it's running normal and dmesg
>> says Console: colour VGA+ 80x25
>
> Try "vga=791".

Since I cannot see any obvious correlation between this "791" and the
parameters given above (which I didn't know one could do, having just read
everything on LILO I could get my hands on, 12 hours ago), could you please
elaborate on the formula used to come up with such special fb statements to
append= -- my laptop, likewise, is capable of hi-res (same as his,
1024x768, but I don't know my video memory spec).

Or point me towards some Fine Documentation.

  TIA
   Soren A

--
"So, tell me, my little one-eyed one, on what poor, pitiful,
defenseless planet has my MONSTROSITY been unleashed?"