pcmcia version mismatch

Hello,

i am running woody on a compaq presario 1720US with a custom 2.4.17 kernel. my problem lies with my lucent orinoco wireless card. when i insert it, cardmgr gives two beeps, one high and one low. obviously there is some problem. when i check /var/log/messages, i have one like this:

Jan 24 14:34:16 rhapsody kernel: Linux ORiNOCO driver, Variant 1, Version 6.10
Jan 24 14:34:16 rhapsody kernel:   The version of pcmcia-cs (3.1.33) this driver is configured for
Jan 24 14:34:16 rhapsody kernel:   does not match the running Card Services version (3.1.22).

first of all i am confused by this message. does it mean that orinico_cs is configured for some pcmcia-cs and that is not the actual version of pcmcia-cs? cardmgr and cardctl do show that they are 3.1.33. i admit i tried to fiddle with pcmcia-cs on my own (getting a new 3.1.33 source and compiling it myself etc.) but i don't think i did anything stupid. or did i? can anyone give me a pointer?

thanks

praveen