Re: Slow X framebuffer device in Compaq Armada M700

Thanks, Michal, in the meantime I did the same and - it's working all right now.

Michal Melewski wrote:
On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 02:04:28PM +0100, Lukasz W. wrote:

I'm using Compaq Armada M700 with framebuffer device (standard linux VESA module). Framebuffer was used mainly to get a fancy boot logo as well as 128x48 screen resolution in text mode. For a while I was using X server (old 3.x.x) version for Mach64, which was quite fast, but I hed problems with switching into text mode (the screen got scrambled because server couldn't switch back into text mode). Now, when I'm using X framebuffer, coming back to text mode is ok, but... the server is painstakingly slow!

What are my options? Should I come back to XF86_Mach64? What about new version (>4.x.x) of X - is framebuffer any better?

I had similar problem with my IBM Thinkpad laptop (same graphic card).
After installing XFree 4.1 with fb compiled into kernel (in vesa mode) and
Xserver running in fb mode everything seems to be fine. ;)

Lukasz

--
Lukasz