Re: aaiiieeee, need some help rebuilding ld-linux.so.2

On Sat, Jan 18, 2003 at 05:34:17PM +0000, Nyk Tarr wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 18, 2003 at 08:57:27AM -0800, Michael K. O'Brien wrote:
> > Hola~
> >
> > I was trying to downgrade libc6. For some reason, downgrading the package
> > didn't update the ld-linux.so.2 link. So, in a moment of idiocy, I removed
> > the ld-linux.so.2 so that I could relink it with a different version of
> > ld.*.so. Well, after removing the link, I can't actually resolve any commands,
> > which makes it difficult to rebuild the link.
> >
> > Is there any way to run a command without ld-linux.so.2? Is there any way to
> > fix my system.
> >

> Yup, but you need one of two things: another root partition - a repair
> and recovery disk like Tom's rtbt, or a statically linked toolchain
> (one that needs no dynamically linked libraries) - all of /sbin
> should be statically linked, but sadly for you doesn't have ln.
>
> A quick google gives
>
> http://www.toms.net/rb/ for Tom's
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/system/recovery/!INDEX.html
> As a list of likely candidates
>
> or
> http://lbt.linuxcare.com/

and its competitor - the continuation of their original project
	http://www.lnx-bbc.org/

> or even gnoppix for linux-on-a-cd, from which you could just mount your
> hd and fix the link from there.

That's knoppix (with a K; though gnome is alos available on it, the
distro is named after Klaus Knopper, its maintainer)

	http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/

...and directly debian based.  A bit overkill just for rescue, but since
it's really debian, you can probably safely raid binaries from it, and
should also be able to dpkg-repack yourself a good .deb of something
he's got.

wishing you the best with your repairs

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...
                * Starshine Technical Services -*- 800 938 4078