Re: video on toshiba satellite 1800-100 Please Help !!

On Fri, 2003-01-17 at 02:38, Thierry Benita wrote:
> You were right : your configuration works great !!
> Now everything is ok !
> (xine runs more than 3 times faster than with W...XP and native
> drivers lol )

Glad to hear that.  xv also made quite a strong impression on a couple
of Windowsheads here :-)

If your paranoia about what runs on your system is a bit less than
healthy (as mine is), and  you have not done this yet, I'd suggest you
to get Christian Marillat's deb-packaged mplayer and Win32 codecs[*].
IMO, it plays MPEGs smoother than Xine, and synchs audio and video much
better.  It also lets you view most AVIs, MOVs, and ASFs out there
--maybe even QT6 + Sorenson (mplayer's page says that's supported now,
but I don't know if the packaged version already has it).

[*] Add "deb http://marillat.free.fr/ stable main" to
/etc/apt/sources.list, apt-get update, and install "mplayer-686" or
"mplayer-k6", and "w32codecs".

Also, if you have a DVD drive, get "ogle" (from standard Woody).  It is
very, very nice.  Gets you DVD menus and subtitles and everything.

Now if only we had accelerated GL... *sigh*

> > the Trident FB driver built into my kernel, it is
> > not loaded as a module.  I don't know if you can do this if the
> > driver is a module.
> I didn't find the Trident FB driver in the kernel configuration ; is it
> available in 2.4.19 or is it a patch ?

It is, as far as I remember, a "development" module.  You have to build
your own kernel, enabling the "prompt for development features" option,
to get it.  It is probably not worth the effort, if most of your work is
done in X.  I have it because I needed a custom kernel anyway (IPSEC
stuff), and even so, just for the coolness factor: hi-res consoles,
ability to view images and PS/PDF docs on them, or playing MPEG directly
on them.  I mean real, color, hi-res graphics, although not accelerated
(but aaxine looks *neat* on them, too :-).

 -CR