Re: [newbie] sarge installation howto

From: "Lars Weissflog" <lwei@cs.tu-berlin.de>

> after I have successfully installed woody on my Omnibook XE3, I begin to
> realize that many packages are rather outdated in this "stable" release.
> So I tried to find Information on how to install Sarge instead, but
> googleing half the day did not give me any hint on how to do so. Please,
> could anyone help me with this? Where do I get a Net-boot-floppy? I really
> don't want to download the "unofficial" CD-ISOs that are out there because
> they are sooooo BIG.

It would be hard to find much in the way of a how-to, because it's so darn
trivial :-)

Modify your /etc/apt/sources.list, changing any occurrence of "woody" or
"stable" to "testing".

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

That's it.  For Woody to Sarge it's such a tried and true upgrade I can't
imagine much in the way of a problem. It's worth keeping your sources set to
"testing" in future.  "stable" is for people who can't afford surprises  - not
those of us with laptops :-)