Re: dell precision m50 _very_ slow paging/swapping

Hello Roe.

Besides special hardware-related issues, I can imagine two main-lines to
consider. Sorry, no simple answer but instead a bunch of questions here from
me...

1. Provided that by 'paging out to disk' you mean swapping:
What services are you running ? esp. what servers. Would be interesting to
know with what you reach the level of intensive swapping at all, beyond 256
MB Ram. Mozilla caching, and/or proxies ?
Look into 'top' and 'ps aux | less' within a shell when system slows down.
What size are your swaps, what says your /etc/fstab and mtab also.
Perhaps you can post some more info's about.

2. Something with ide-drivers and/or filesystem:
Check your kernel- .config, with 'make menuconfig' or something alike, esp.
the block-device-section. Lookup dmesg and syslog carefully. dma is alright
there ? Run e2fsck and debugfs ( or other tools appropriate to your
filesystem ).

There may be more wickened things beyond screen an keyboard, of
course ;-)
Anyway, providing more informations to the list would be useful.

hth

--
michl