Re: XFree86 DRI and SiS630

Hello Paulo, and Jord.

Jord Swart schrieb zu Re: XFree86 DRI and SiS630:
> On Friday 10 January 2003 12:37, Paulo Lopes wrote:
> > Hi,
(...)
> I'm not sure if I have DRI working though. I wouldn't know how to
> check that.
I think you'd see it if it works :)
Just test some 3D-xscreensavers with and without dri...
Informations are parsed anyway by X  to your Logfiles /var/log/XFree86.0 or
else kdm.log. Searchterm 'DRI' or 'rendering'.
For example, turning DRI on here on my Deskbox with a MGA-chip with too less
memory for direct-rendering causes - at different points in the log - the
following announcements, errors (EE) and failures (--):
(**) MGA(0): Option "DRI" "true"  # ( this is from XF86Config-File )
(II) Loading extension XFree86-DRI   # btw still run XFree 4.1...
(EE) MGA(0): Static buffer allocation failed, not initializing the DRI
(--) MGA(0): Direct rendering disabled
Hmm. Just realize that's exactly what you DON'T want to see ;-)
Anyway, you'll find something.

> You could have a link to the testing environment in your sources.conf, do
> an apt-get update then manually install the packages you want with apt-get
> install xfree..... and remove the line from your sources.conf again.

DRI for sis630 actually might be suppoerted by the 'stable' Xfree and at
least the 2.4 - kernelversions. Would be the easiest way to check that out
first, i think.

Good luck
--
michl.