Problems on Shutdown with X

Hi !

I have the following problems with the X-windows-system on my
Fujitsu-Siemens-Amilo-6100-Laptop and as I am not a real expert it's difficult for me to
find out a correct solution without destroying my screen (I have already read
the XFree86-HOWTO but this didn't really help)

Usually X works fine when starting and running KDE. During working there are
no problems but:

Most of the time (I'd say 8 times out of 10) X doesn't shutdown correctly.
When I turn off my computer with the shutdown-menu-button in gdm the screen
first gets black and after 3 seconds the screen gets brighter and brighter
beginning from the bottom of the screen, then brightening up the whole screen to
the top, like if it was BURNING off  !! :-(((

So I always have to turn off quickly the laptop by the
"hardware-turn-off-button" as I fear to destroy the screen otherwise. But this is not only
uncomfortable but also doesn't turn off the computer correctly (filesystem-checks
necessary on reboot, etc.)

The strange thing is that sometimes X shuts down correctly, after the black
screen it shows plain text (as linux always does when it turns on or off),
and the system is going down in a normal way without brightening the whole
screen. I couldn't find out when the correct shutdown happens, it seems to be by
"hazard". Usually I close all my applications when I am going to shutdown the
computer, sometimes I let one or to open (and then sometimes it shuts down
correctly) but this doesn't really help and make sense.

Can some (X-)expert tell me what I have to change?

At the moment I am using gdm for login and KDE2.2 as it was shipped with the
Debian-Woody-Release. The video-card is a Lynx3DM from Silicon Motion.

 (Could it be that GDM and KDE does not work together properly??)

In the attachment I am sending you my actual X-4x-Config-file.

Help would be really appreciated.

thx in advance!!

--
best regards, salut, liebe Grüsse,

Richard Palfalvi

"Werde was Du bist - Deviens ce que tu es - Become what you are" :-))

Austria - Vienna - Autriche - Vienne - Österreich - Wien - Austria - Vienna