Re: Netgear MA401 (wireless network card) trouble

On Sun, 2003-01-05 at 00:36, Weinzierl Stefan wrote:
> Karl Eklund schrieb:
> > Sometimes (maybe once every day) the transfer speed goes down to about
> > 12 kB/s (the connection is much faster) and it's slow to do several
> > things at the same time (for example, an SSH terminal session becomes
> > very slow if files are transferred at the same time). It is remedied
> > by pulling out the card and inserting it again.  It has been going on
> > since I installed the card, with Linux versions 2.4.18, 2.4.19 and
> > 2.4.20.  Is this a known problem?
>
> Yes :)
>
> You need the new Orinoco-Drivers Version 0.13, in the Kernel is still
> Version 0.11 which has the failure, you described.

Maybe I'm seeing a different failure with my DWL-650 then.  On the
strength of your post I downloaded the 0.13 drivers and patched them
into the kernel and pcmcia source trees.

Alas, my rebuilt kernel sees the same problem as all the other kernels I
have built since the 2.4.17 one I am sticking with for now.

I monitor the WLAN with wmwave, and immediately I do a lot of network
traffic (scp a directory full of .ogg files :-) I see the "Link" quality
rapidly approach zero and my scp session comes up stalled after a little
over 1MB.

With previous builds (i.e. 0.11 drivers) I could extract and reinsert
the card at this point, but with these I was unlucky and got a complete
lockup.

:-(

Oh well, I should have a new LinkSys card later this week and maybe it
won't have these problems.  One hopes :-)

Cheers,
				Andrew.
Andrew @ Catalyst .Net.NZ Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/         PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)916-7201     MOB: +64(21)635-694    OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
           Survey for nothing with http://survey.net.nz/