Re: Using a projector or external monitor

On  5-01-2003, at 19h 44'01", Peter wrote to debian-laptop about "Using a projector or external monitor"

> I'm running Debian on a new laptop, Best Buy's vpr matrix 200A5, and would
> like to use an external monitor or projector. When I have a second LCD
> connected, the display works fine in text mode. However, when I start
> X-windows, it goes black.
>
> I see from XFree86.0.log that the external monitor is correctly identified
> and named, and its characteristics spelled out. I use the default
> (non-accelerated) nv driver for the NVidia GeForce4 420 Go M32 rev 163,
> and a tailored version of XF86Config-4 with a generic 1024x768 display at
> 75MHz that both monitors accept (the laptop's monitor default is
> 1280x854).
>
> It may be that I just need to switch view from one monitor to the other --
> but how do I do that? My keyboard uses Fn+F3 to switch between displays,
> but this has not effect in my Linux setup.
>
> I included Option "externDisp" under "Device", but the log file shows this
> was not used.
>
> I use XFree86 Version 4.2.1.1 (Debian 4.2.1-4 20021123003806
> branden@debian.org) (protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6600)
> Release Date: 18 October 2002.
>
> I'd appreciate your help as this would expose a large number of people to
> Linux. Is there an option I can use? A way to control which display to
> use? Or does nVidia's closed driver handle this feature?
>
> Please reply on the list.

Hi,

I have been using atitvout to switch to other monitors or TV display,
or beamers, with great success.
Have a look at
"http://www.stud.uni-hamburg.de/users/lennart/projects/atitvout/";.

Regards,