Re: Network discovering... too many options

On Fri, 2003-01-03 at 04:51, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:

>     Package: whereami
>      whereami is a set of useful scripts and a coordinating system for
>      automatically re-locating your computer within the current
>      (network) environment.
>
>      Typically, you would use whereami to automatically detect and
>      re-configure your laptop when you move between a variety of diverse
>      networks and/or docking environments.
>
>      Although whereami will work best if all of your networks assign
>      addresses through dhcp, this is not a pre-requisite and the system
>      allows any technique to be used to ascertain the new location with
>      as little ongoing user intervention as possible.
>
>      Having ascertained the correct location, whereami will run
>      appropriate (user-configured) scripts to adjust the laptop
>      operation to suit the current environment.

I'm the maintainer (and upstream) of whereami, so no doubt I show a
little bias :-)

whereami deals with multiple ethernet interfaces and also can be
configured to recognise other hardware situations, such as a docking
station.

It hooks into ifplugd (if desired) to handle automatic reconfiguration
when you plug the network cable into an existing ethernet and it hooks
into pcmcia to reconfigure on insertion of a pcmcia card.

It doesn't pop up a configuration screen on boot (although it does run
on boot) - I have attempted to make it operate as automatically as
possible, although I do want to develop a GUI of some kind to make
maintenance of the two configuration files (location detection and
reconfiguration) more easily maintained by the uninitiated.

Cheers,
					Andrew.
Andrew @ Catalyst .Net.NZ Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/         PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)916-7201     MOB: +64(21)635-694    OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
           Survey for nothing with http://survey.net.nz/