Re: Network discovering... too many options

* "Marcelo E. Magallon"

|     Package: divine
|      A utility to locate current network address via arp requests and
|      perform light reconfigurations based on its findings.
|
|      "divine" is intended for laptop users or people who use their
|      machines in different networks all the time. It is meant to be run
|      from the PCMCIA network initialization scripts.
|
|      For more information see: http://www.fefe.de/divine
|
|  Sounds good.  The only downside is that it seems to use PCMCIA, which
|  the laptop I have here doesn't even look at for network stuff.

It has a sucky and quite restricted config file format as well.

[...]

|     Package: intuitively
|      A utility to locate current network address via arp requests and
|      perform heavy reconfigurations based on its findings.
|
|      "intuitively" is intended for laptop users or people who use their
|      machines in different networks all the time. It is meant to be run
|      from the PCMCIA network initialization scripts or the command line.
|
|  Sounds like guessnet plus the "heavy configuration" stuff.  I guess
|  it's something like /etc/divine/{network}/{up,down}.d/{dd}{stuff}, is
|  that it?  Is the network detection algorithm different?

It is based on divine, but has been completely rewritten and supports
a lot of features missing from divine, like some wireless extensions
and such.  I wish it had better integration with ifupdown, though.
Help appreciated.  It uses the same algorithm as most of the other
packages: send out ARP requests and see who answers.  It does support
detection by MAC address as well.

[...]

|  This is the one that pops up a configuration screen at boot up, right?

that's netenv, iirc.

|     Package: ifplugd
|      ifplugd is a daemon which will automatically configure your
|      ethernet device when a cable is plugged in and automatically
|      unconfigure it if the cable is pulled. This is useful on laptops
|      with onboard network adapters, since it will only configure the
|      interface when a cable is really connected.
|
|  Sounds like a nice addition to guessnet and intuitively.

yes, help for getting this working well with intuitively would be good.

(I'm both debian maintainer and upstream for intuitively, as you might
have guessed.)

                                                                      `. `'
                                                                        `-