Re: Eth0 will not work after kernel recompile

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 01:51:32AM -0500, Jeremy Petzold wrote:
> I have compiled a new kernel with ACPI support to get my sound working.
> I was successful in getting my sound working (thank you Max). but now,
> as with other kernel compiles with diffrent versions, I can not get my
> network to come back up.
>
> my working kernel is the 2.4.18-bf2.4-xfs
>
> my dmesg from the new kernel looks exactly like the dmesg from my kernel
> working kernel (except for the ACPI stuff)
>
> is there somthing I have to do to get it working after I boot a new kernel?
>
> I have a realtek 8139 ethernet chip. and I have tried compiling the
> driver into the kernel, I have tried making it a module. I have tried
> other kernels that do not include ACPI, and I have tried 2.4.18 source
> without ACPI.
>
> what am I doing wrong?

Does the chip show up in lspci?

You're not compiling the 8139cp code for a non 8139C+ chip,
right?

Do the old and new dmesg outputs both contain, or not contain
the eth0 init?

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.

use, duplication and distribution.