Re: small screen

--On 06 December 2002 01:12 +0100 Julien Motch <julienmotch@skynet.be> wrote:

Hi ,

I have just installed a debian 3.0 on my toshiba satelite laptop (
Pentium I 100Mhz) .

It boots un vga mode but nothing is displayed in the screen borders ( +-
3 cm ) . I have tried the combinations cabs 'Fn t' but it does not
change anything .

Any ideas on how to have a full display ?

I'm assuming this is regarding the console, and not X-Windows btw.

Maybe you need to set a vga mode with a mode number? I have this on my laptop:

vga=792

the rest of the grub line is:

kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18 root=/dev/hda4 ro vga=792

I think on lilo you have to do "append = vga=792" - but I am guessing as I haven't used lilo in a long time.

I believe vga=792 sets it to 1024x768x32bit. There is a file in the kernel source which lists all the modes (you may have to convert from hex to decimal - I think the above number is decimal). Check /usr/src/linux/Documentation...

I assume you know you are in vga mode because you see a penguin?

Regards,

Sid
Thanks to All ,
Julien

Julien Motch
julienmotch@skynet.be
key fingerprint =  8C87 FCB7 5BCA 5B92 7EEA  8271 116F 26B0 5CC1 0A3C