Re: Install on X22 without floppy and cdrom

On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 10:56:44PM -0700, River Y. Liu wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does someboby have the experience of installing Linux on Ibm Thinkpad
> X22? My machine is Windows 2000 preinstalled, which can't be booted in
> Linux from pure Dos mode.  I didn't buy Ultra base because I have
> network at home. I probably only use it for installing. I just bought an
> IDE 2.5" to 3.5" adapter and tried to put the hard disk of the X22 into
> my desktop computer. After installed Linux and put it back to the
> laptop, I found out I can't boot, it prompted "disk I/O error". So it
> failed. Somebody has any idea?

I did exactly the same with my X21, and it worked just fine. Did a basic
install just to get basic networking up and running, moved the HD back
to the X21, and completed the install over the network.

It sounds as if you didn't run LILO, or the HD wasn't reconnected
properly.

Not very helpful I know, but the install in other computer approach is
the correct one to take.

Cheers
    Dave