Re: x configuration

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002 14:31, Ditch, Derek  P., MO-ARNG wrote:
> 	Using X version 3.x for that card is gonna be a pain.  I'd suggest
> using 4.1 and get the custom Savage chip from here
> (http://www.probo.com/timr/savagemx.html).  They have a version for 3.x and
> 4.x  If you use the 4.x version from xfree86 then you'll get problems with
> system locking up when running some programs like staroffice and other
> large java-based programs (java programs are the only ones I've noticed
> that do this).  4.x is the version that has a common x server with
> different "modules" for different drivers.  Hope this helps

Brian May pointed out to me that one of the X screen savers will also trigger
this, Brian, which one is it?

I solved the problem on my laptop by using the frame-buffer X server and the
VESA frame buffer driver.  Brian unfortunately doesn't have this option
because the vesafb driver doesn't support 1400x1050 (I only have a 1024x768
display which is well supported by vesafb).

Is there any work on a savagefb driver?