Re: CPU (Bios?) Lock with 2.4.12 on OB XE3

Andy Toenz [yoschi@gmx.ch] wrote:

> i have a problem with my HP Omnibook XE3. The Computer locks on random times
> completely. No SysRq, no Keyboard Led's (e.g. Caps-Lock On/Off). Nothing...
> Sometimes it works fine for a couple of hours, and sometimes he works
> only 45 Minutes... until complete Lock

the only time I had this problem it was *very* irratating, my laptop is *not*
a HP Omnibook XE3.  And for some strange reason one morning I woke up and
knew what the problem was.  The laptop's CPU slipped out a bit so if the
laptop got a bump or just left for a while the cpu would edge its way out and
*bugger* :)

Another explanation is that you have Intel Poxystep (TM) which you will need
to disable in the BIOS and rely completely on the HLT instruction (via apm
support in the kernel) which is much better anyway :)

Alex

( BOFH excuse #316:                       )
( Elves on strike. (Why do they call EMAG )
( Elf Magic)                              )
        o   ^__^
                ||----w |
                ||     ||