Re: pcmcia-cs and configuring network...

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 04:55:30PM +1000, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Werner Heuser wrote:
> >> know intuitively and I think thje other is discover. There is at
> >> least two more.
> > `divine' and maybe some of the ARP packages.
>
> `whereami', which is a suite to detect and configure the network.
> Probably requires a little more scripting knowledge than some of the
> others, though.

I'm perfectly happy to use "cardctl scheme" and /etc/pcmcia/network.opts to
switch between networks.

The thing I'd find autodetection useful for is shuffling /etc/exim.conf
around, one configuration for dialup (setting the ISP's SMTP server as
mailserver, to avoid rejection from spam-preventing recipients, which reject
mail from dial-up sources) and one for LAN ethernet, allowing a direct SMTP
connection (i.e. using exim itself as the mail server).

Is this the sort of situation these network detection programs are designed
for?

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://dparsons.webjump.com/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A