agpgart kernel module

I've got a Toshiba 490CDT, with an S3 ViRGE/MX video card.
Going through the kernel options, I noticed there's this new agpgart
kernel module which is supposed enhance video performance.  (It's
followed by some DRI options, but S3 video isn't listed there).

The 490CDT seems to have some AGP thing stuck in it, /proc/pci reports:
  Bus  0, device   1, function  0:
    PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX - 82443BX/ZX AGP bridge (rev 2).
      Master Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=136.

So I recompiled my kernel, including agpgart.  modprobing the module
into action, it seems to become active, giving the message:

Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 60M
agpgart: Detected Intel 440BX chipset
agpgart: AGP aperture is 256M @ 0xe0000000

My question, then, if anyone can answer it, is: does agpgart actually
do anything for me?  Are there any extra configuration steps I need to
take to make it active?  All I've done at this point is compile the
module and turn it on with modprobe, I'm not sure what exactly it's
doing.  What should I expect from it?

Drwe

--
PGP public key available at http://dparsons.webjump.com/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A