Re: Toshiba Satellite Pro 4200

On 31 Jul, Alex Page wrote:
> 1) I've got a "3Com 10/100 LAN PC Card" PCMCIA NIC in my laptop. I can't
> find any information about Linux drivers on 3Com's (very poor) website.
> Where can I found out whether Linux drivers are available for this product?

The 3com pcmcia nics seem to work ok. I've only had experience with the
10baseT versions though.

> 2) Ditto for the inbuilt Toshiba 56k modem

I've got a Satellite XCDT490, my internal modem doesn't work at all, but
I think it's just plain broken (don't have windows, so I can't test it).
I've seen other people (on the toshiba-linux mailing list) that have had
good results with the lucent drivers.

> 3) Sound drivers - the internal soundcard works well under Win98, and I'd
> rather like it to continue working under Debian...

Sound shouldn't be a problem.

> 4) Dual monitor support - under windoze, I have my mail client / ogg player
> on the laptop's LCD, and do the rest of my work on my monitor. How easy is
> this to replicate under Linux?

This I can't say, it sounds like you're talking about dual-headed
support, it should be possible, but I can't say how you'd go about it.

jim