kernel config: pcmcia and network device support?

I'm probably just looking for a 'shove' here, but I'm having a problem
determining which network driver to build into my kernel.

Note: My networking is operating fine with whatever the default settings for
kernel-2.2.19pre17 'compact' happen to be.

I have a 3Com 3C589C Etherlink III pc card in my laptop.  I am trying to
complete my first attempt at configuring a linux kernel, and I am stuck in
'network device support'.  I do have the pcmcia-cs v3.1.22-0.2 package
installed (kernel version 2.2.19pre17).

In the 'network device support' menu:
<M> dummy net driver support

In the 'ethernet (10 or 100Mbit)' menu:
[*] ethernet (10 or 100Mbit)
other options that don't really match my situation

My best newbie interpretation of /var/log/messages suggests that 3c59x.c,
pcnet32.c, and via-rhine.c are being loaded as modules in my current
(default) kernel.  However, I am not sure which one of these )if any) is
actually doing me any good since none of them do any good until the card
services startup and find my adapter with IO port probes.

Any help, suggestions, or advice would be greatly appreciated.

- gladimir