Re: installing on laptop

> "Dan Cox" <dancox@teleport.com> writes:
>
> > I am wondering how one would go about installing Debian on a laptop that
has
> > no cdrom or network card?
>
> You can't borrow a network card?
>
> --
> Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> - In a variety of flavors!
> This fortune intentionally says nothing.

This is the problem I am having as well now...  I have both CD-ROM and a
NIC, but I am trying to install from floppies (1.44, base install, plain
vanilla) because I cannot use both the floppy and CD-ROM at the same time
(warm-swappable or cold-swappable only) and the base install doesn't seem to
have the right drivers for my PCMCIA controller or my NIC. I have a Compaq
LTE 5300 laptop, with a Cirrus Logic PD6722 PCMCIA controller and a Xircom
CE3B-100BTX 10/100 PC Card (non-CardBus). I think I have the partition
scheme figured out now (DOS only marked bootable, Linux and swap made
through cfdisk, DOS made through DOS's FDISK).

I found a page that said that the standard i82365 PCMCIA driver is supposed
to work with my controller...  but I can't tell if it is or not. Regardless,
the drivers package doesn't have a copy of xirc2ps_cs on the floppy...    so
I can't use apt-get through the network to finish my install. Do I need to
just install as full of a base package as I can through floppy, then compile
a new kernel, new PCMCIA card services, PCMCIA driver modules, then try it
again?