Re: hardware profiles?

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Matt Pepper wrote:

> I have a Dell laptop I am endeavoring to put Debian on however I have a
> query I'd like to get answered first. Does anyone know if there is a way of
> handling multiple hardware profiles in Debian similar to the concept within
> Windows? I ask because when I am at home I have the laptop docked which
> means not only the PCMCIA ethernet port is present but also an ethernet card
> within the port replicator is present. When I am at work only the PCMCIA
> ethernet port is available. Does anyone see any problem with this? Any way
> to handle the two configurations gracefully?

i don't know if this really addresses your situation, but my laptop
continually moves between home and office.  at the office, my pcmcia card
is a standard 3com ethernet adapter.  at home, i use a proxim symphony
wireless card.  pcmcia-cs handles everything for me.  i just plug in the
card, fire up the box, and i'm good to go.

--
steve
*****