Re: Negative recommendation: Don't buy/deal with ARM Computer

Hi Karsten,

I am writing this on an N38W3, ARM Computer's top model.  I believe it
was once the Dell Inspiron 5000(e).  It works beautifully with linux.
ARM, unlike many other companies, puts most, if not all, of the
technical specifications on their website.  I believe they are trying to
improve their product and services and treat the linux community well.
But the Dell Inspiron 5000 seems to have been discontinued.  Without
making excuses for anyone, perhaps we're witnessing growing pains at ARM
(and we have every right to defend ourselves, of course).

It all came at a price.  Originally I purchased the same model (slightly
different video/sound) _refurbished_ through Tuxtops.  And it failed
less than a year later.

The initial symptom was a malfunctioning charge system; the battery
would not charge with power off (plug in).  I think that was caused by
an earlier event, when moderate pressure was applied to the [flimsy]
power jack.  It sparked and the problems began.

I contacted Tuxtops, and then ARM, hoping for warranty coverage.  ARM
informed me it was out of warranty.  Arguably, yes.  But after
discussing the failure, Salman politely insisted that it was impossible
for the power jack to short to the motherboard.  I'm still not convinced
and maintain that the product has a flimsy, and thus defective, power
jack (which sits just under your right hand when over the Page up/down
keys, watch out).  They gave me a good credit on the broken/refurbished
machine which I used towards a new one.  It was either that, or pay not
significantly less for a new motherboard.

I experienced the delay alluded to in the below messages, and also had
some minor problems with their website, checking RMA status.

I found everyone mentioned below easy to deal with, accounting for the
fact that Salman is, after all, a salesman.

Vince Virgilio

P.S. If QLITech doesn't go through ARM, do they go straight to Compal?

--
Vigorous organisms talk not about their processes, but about their aims.

		G. K. Chesterton