Re: The SpedStep crash problem ...

On Sun, 2001-10-28 at 19:21, Jeff wrote:
> Karsten M. Self, 2001-Oct-28 15:55 -0800:
> > on Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 05:07:05PM +0200, Martin Sk?tt (martin@z3n.dk) wrote:
> >
> > > OK, we are now a couple of people here on the list who are struggling
> > > with random crashes of our laptops. The standard solution is to
> > > disable SpeedStep in the BIOS. Until now this haven't helped on my
> > > machine, but I have many SpeedStep settings and I still haven't tried
> > > all of them.
> >
> > > Disabling SpeedStep is a workaround, but it's not acceptible for me as
> > > a private laptop buyer.
> >
> > It's the only solution I've found to work.  Running a TuxTops Amethyst
> > 20U w/ PIII 600/500 CPU.
> >
> > My own research and experience suggest this is the best solution.
> >
> > Peace.
>
> I haven't disabled Speedstep, but instead locked the speed at
> maximum performance.  My bios allows me to do this.  I have no
> problems (Dell Latitude CPi PIII 750/600).

Sometime when you're not using your laptap, try running a program that
can use 100% of CPU time constantly (glxgears works for me [1], but
there are others) and time how long it takes to lock up or shut down the
system.

[1] And gives me a chance to get annoyed at ATI for not releasing the
specs for decent drivers or developing their own; my GeForce 3 desktop
gets literally 2500% or greater of the frame rate of my laptop's
so-called "accelerated 3D" graphics card.  This is a 700 Mhz (850 if you
believe Intel) machine that can't even run Quake 3...grrr....